Wednesday, January 31, 2018

WHY THE STRUGGLE IS WORTH IT

                                                                                                                     
            

I read a lot of articles written by artists – I think most serious artists do.  We want to know what other like-minded people are thinking.  We want to learn from their experience and inspirations.  Often I find that somewhere in their articles, especially if they are addressed to students,  there will be a line about recognizing when you’ve spent enough time on a painting and admitting that it’s just not working.  I’m not convinced that that time should ever come.
            One of the ways that I work toward being a better artist is to set goals for the paintings I do that are just beyond my reach  -- something that I’ve never tried before, or that I’ve had little experience with doing.  Needless to say, this leads to frustration, but it also leads to learning and eventually, if I persevere – to accomplishment.
            My current challenge has been working on gesture in my painted figures.  This refers to complicated poses, either still or in action.  Which leg holds the weight of a still body;  how are the feet placed when the body leaps through space.  In order to make these figures read correctly I have spent hours looking at the sketches of the artists whose figural work I most admire.  More hours copying their drawings and still more drawing my own.  Painting is different than drawing so yet more hours have to be spent painting and repainting each figure until not only the proportions are correct, but the gesture as well.  How many times have I walked away swearing “I’m done with that mess” only to return the next day to give it one more try as my fresh eyes tell me what it needs. 
            One of those days, I finally get it “right” – not perfect, but acceptable.  Signing that work is the best feeling of a very long process but boy is it a great feeling.  The struggle is worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment